Our site is not fully compatible with Internet Explorer. We strongly suggest using Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge.
How to setup a 4L60E/4L65E with FTMANAGER
Step by step ECU setup for 4L60E/4L65E transmission:
The step by step instruction was built for 4L60E/4L65E transmissions wired as the diagram:
Enable Transmission Control feature:
- In Engine Settings – Map Options check the boxes:
- In Sensors and Calibration - Inputs:
- TPS – Calibrated – Input must be selected according with the engine wiring.
- Driveshaft RPM – Needs VR to Hall Converter (Hall wheel speed sensor can also be used).
- Transmission Temperature – Default (GM USA).
- Brake Switch – Default – required only if “deactivate Lockup when brake pedal pressed” feature is desired and there is no brake pressure sensor.
- AT Range Selector – Switch A - Default.
- AT Range Selector – Switch B - Default.
- AT Range Selector – Switch C - Default.
- In Sensors and Calibration - Outputs.
- Select outputs for the Transmission Solenoids (A, B and C), Blue or Gray outputs can be used.
- Select according with your available outputs.
- For Lockup solenoid and Line Pressure solenoid select Yellow Outputs.
Gear Change Detection:
- In Sensors and Calibration – Gear change detection.
- Information about the differential and gearbox for Gear Detection.
- Detection type: “By Automatic transmission Control”.
Automatic Transmission Range Selector (lever position):
Drive shaft RPM:
- In Sensors and Calibration – Drive shaft RPM.
- When using the 4L60E/4L65E transmission VSS, set 40 teeth and select your differential ratio and tire size info. Wheel speed sensor can be used instead.
Automatic Transmission Control:
- In Other Functions – Automatic Transmission Control.
- User preferences for transmission control settings.
- In Other Functions – Automatic Transmission Control - Solenoids.
- Solenoid A and B: 75Hz.
- Solenoid C: 50Hz and 0.2 seconds.
- Line pressure solenoid: 293Hz.
Gear change trigger table uses the same values for Upshift and Downshift:
Gear Change Table:
- In Other Functions – Automatic Transmission Control – Gear change table.
- The values of the picture below are just a suggestion to start, do your own research and tell the ECU when to shift gears.
- Do not set the same speed for upshift and downshift for the same TPS position.
- The speed for upshift will always be higher than downshift, at least 2 miles/hour apart to avoid constantly gear shifting.
Gearbox Line Pressure Table:
- In Other Functions – Automatic Transmission Control – Gear line pressure table.
- This table is to adjust the Line pressure for smooth gear shifting and stable engine idle.
- Since the line pressure directly affects the torque converter, the adjustment is needed for a smooth run and will depend on the torque converter installed.
- Line pressure solenoids reduce the line pressure when activated, as so, if not using the output for controlling it, your 4L60E/4L65E will apply full line pressure at all time.
- To reduce line pressure, you should increase the percentage of duty cycle on the solenoid. Values below are suggestive.
Line pressure by temperature compensation:
- In Other Functions – Automatic Transmission Control – Line pressure by temperature compensation.
- ATF’s density and viscosity drastically changes with temperature, that’s one of the reasons why using transmission temperature sensor is important to guarantee smooth operation. To reduce the pressure and maintain a smooth operation of your transmission system you should add more duty cycle on the solenoids, as showed:
Gear change line pressure:
- in Other Functions – Automatic Transmission Control – Gear change line pressure compensation.
- In Other Functions – Lockup control.
- PWM frequency can remain “0 Hz”.